Basil pesto is an amazing dip or addition to many recipes and it is also great in sandwiches. The taste and smell is heavenly. Most pesto recipes include pine nuts which are horrendusly expensive and also palmerson cheese which is not that good for you. So use this recipe below for a healthier and cheaper version.
Makes 2 cups
- 1 large bunch of basil – approx 100g or so
- 1/2 cup rice bran oil (you can use olive but it has a strong flavour that sometimes overpowers)
- 1 cup almonds or cashew nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- juice of 3 lemons
- Put all ingredients in food processer and blend
- Adjust flavours as required. Just make sure you can taste a little of every flavour and it will be about right. If there is an ingredient you cannot taste, add more of it (except the nuts/oil which you will not be able to taste)
- Store in the refrigerator – or freeze for use in winter!