This is a cross between a dahl and a soup. It is a great tasting soup and great for winter!
Indian lentil soup
Makes 8 servings
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic chopped or crushed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1 stalk celery roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot roughly chopped
- 400g (12oz) can tomatoes blended
- 1 cup red lentils
- 6 cups hot water
- 1 cup cashew nuts
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons date puree or honey
- Saute onion, garlic and oil until clear.
- Stir in spices and vegetables.
- Add lentils, tomatoes and water and bring to boil. Simmer for around 30 minutes or until lentils and vegetables are cooked.
- Blend with a stick blender.
- Separately blend cashew nuts and cold water to make a thick cream. Add to the pot.
- Add salt and date puree and taste.
Ensure salt is added at end, not earlier, as it will inhibit the lentils cooking properly.