Butter Chicken is the biggest selling dish in Indian restaurants by a country mile. So I created this dish that does not have chicken (of course), cream or that red food colouring that is normally in the traditional dish.
Not butter chicken
Makes 8 servings
- 600g (20oz) pack firm tofu
- 3 large carrots
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped or crushed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger puree
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/8 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 x 400g (12oz) cans tomatoes blended
- 200ml (6fl oz) coconut cream
- Ahead of time take your tofu, drain it, and store in your freezer for at least 2 days. It will change into a nice chicken-like texture. Defrost and slice into 2cm (1in) strips.
- Slice the carrots thinly and roast with a little oil for 20 minutes at 150°C (300°F).
- Saute onions, ginger, garlic and oil in large pot until clear.
- Add spices and mix well.
- Add tomatoes and cook for around 5 minutes or until bubbling.
- Gently mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Check heat and salt for your taste and add more salt/chilli as required.
- Serve on brown rice.